How To Clean Your Glassware
Let’s play a quick game of word association; I’ll say a phrase, and you think of the first thing that comes to mind. Ready?
Ok, here it is- Bong Water.
I’m guessing whatever you thought of involved some truly unpleasant sensory memories that turned your stomach over a little. Be it the result of a dare or a clumsy mistake, most folks’ experience with bong water involves some form of regret steeped in that foul, murky, bog water.
But it doesn’t have to be this way! Like many of the classic “stonerisms” out there, smoking out of dirty bongs, pipes, bubblers, and glassware has become so acceptable and commonplace that they are the norm, not the exception. We reckon it’s high time to change that.
Not only does regular glassware cleaning and maintenance actually save you time and effort in the long-run (removing four-month-old resin is a lot more of a chore than removing four-day-old resin), it makes for better sessions. After all, there’s nothing worse than the stale, musty taste of smoke through dirty glass or a piece that’s so clogged it no longer pulls clean.
Perhaps worst of all, there's no better way to ruin the unique terpene flavors and aromas of your best greens than by drowning them in dirty water and gunk first.
You deserve better than that. Your glassware deserves better than that. Follow these simple tips below to do the right thing and keep a little class in your glass.
**DISCLAIMER: These instructions/ guidelines are an overview of basic glass care. Some bongs, bubbler, or pieces may involve more features/ parts that require special care & cleaning that you will need to address.
DO NOT use cleaners on any bong with a decal-wrap as they will ruin the sticker!
CLEANING YOUR GLASSWARE
- Dump any dirty water and flush the inside of the bong, bubbler, or piece with warm, clean water. Empty the water again.
Pour your chosen cleaning solution into your bong or bubbler. You can use a range of different cleaning solutions, such as isopropyl alcohol and rock salt. We prefer a solution intentionally formulated to clean resin out of glassware, such as Orange Chronic Super Hero Bong Cleaner or Randy’s Black Label. If your glass has a decal wrap design of any kind, avoid using chemical cleaners as they will ruin the sticker!
If you are cleaning a pipe or smaller piece, place it in a ziplock bag and fill it with enough cleaning solution to submerge the entire piece.
If you are cleaning a bong or bubbler, cover the openings with Res Caps.
Shake the bong or bubbler vigorously until the solution removes all of the resin from the glass. If you find that the solution has not been able to remove all of the resin, you can let it soak for about 15 min.
If you are cleaning a pipe, shake the bag containing the solution and piece carefully until the pipe is cleared.
There will be times when your cleaning solution will be unable to clear certain stubborn stains inside of your bong or bubbler. To hit these, try using a pipe brush. If you still can’t reach the area, magnetic scrubbers like the Scrubber Ducky Magnetic Cleaner for Bongs and Rigs work like magic.
- Dump the dirty cleaning solution out and rinse the inside of the bong or pipe with warm water until it runs through clear. If you find your glass looks a little hazy, repeat these steps one more time.
- You are now ready to get fresh baked... you deserve it!
General Tips For Care and Maintenance:
- It is crucial to change out your bong water and let the glassware fully dry out between sessions (or once a day, minimum), as stagnant, dirty bong water is a breeding pool for bacteria, viruses, yeasts, and other microorganisms. Fungi, such as black mold, could begin to thrive in no time. Obviously you absolutely do not want to be inhaling that into you lungs... keep that water clear and fresh!
- Speaking of "clear and fresh," keeping your glass clean will allow you to fully enjoy the the unique combination of terpenes in your chosen strain. You wouldn't drink expensive wine from a dirty coffee cup would you? So why ruin your good greens with a dirty bong?
- If you are getting hard water stains on your glassware inside, try using distilled water to clean and fill your piece or bong.
Glass is delicate (duh). It’s not a bad call to remove the bowl and downstem from your bong when it’s not in use. Anyone who’s ever knocked theirs over and broken the bowl, downstem, or both can confirm for you that it’s not worth the risk
If it’s too late and this has already happened to you, fear not! We have some solutions for you here!
- When cleaning your glass, use warm but not hot water. Warm water loosens resin for cleaning, but hot water melts resin back on to the glass and ultimately makes more work for you.